Monday, February 22, 2010

So what have I learned?

I know, Miss's birthday was last week. But I'm still in reflection mode. Thinking over the past year. Evaluating my choices and learning from mistakes. Being a mom is definitely a learning process. Over the past year I have learned so much about mothering and about myself as a mother. I know I certainly don't have all the right answers, but I am feeling pretty good about my process of learning what I think is right and what works for me as a mom, for Miss as a child, and for us as a family. So here are just a few of the many lessons I've learned:

1. I have learned to lighten up a bit. At first I was sooo worried about germs and dirt and well, everything, that I was stressing way too much and probably doing some silly things as a result. For example, when Miss was smaller and just learning to roll and sit up, I used to always put a clean quilt on the floor for her to play on. I was so worried she might get a dog hair on her! Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that she would eventually be moving way beyond the borders of that quilt, and I would not be able to protect her forever from the perils of, *gasp*, the floor!!! But I couldn't help myself. Now, in all fairness, I think when she was so little that she couldn't lift her head very well, the blanket on the floor was a good thing. I just probably hung on to it much longer than necessary. Anyway, the point is that I have learned to loosen up and just enjoy watching her explore and play, even if she's playing with things I wouldn't choose for her to play with, like gross dog toys. I do have limits though. She isn't allowed to put the dog toys in her mouth, and I drew the line at hands in the toilet this morning :)

2. I have learned that Miss's most ticklish spots are her armpits and the backs of her chubby little thighs.

3. In spite of what I posted in #1, I have learned that saying "no," or some variant thereof, is appropriate and necessary at times. It's all about balance!!

4. I have learned that the most beautiful sounds in the world, hands down, come from my baby. Her laugh, her voice as she "talks," when she says "Mama" - music to my ears.

5. I have learned that nothing is more important than my family and being here to savor every moment with my daughter. The time flies by so fast, and that all those years I spent getting the degree that I'm not using too much these days, while still important, can be put to use later when my babies don't need me so much. Forensic psychology will wait. Growing babies will not. I won't ever regret not missing out on Miss's babyhood.

All that said, I haven't forgotten that I mentioned last week a surprise on the blog and another diaper giveaway. The surprise will be revealed in the next few days. The giveaway will be posted very soon. I'm still in the testing phase to write a review of the diaper. I have to try it overnight still!!! But I promise, that will be soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment