Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Christmas Tree

Miss's first look at the Christmas tree.

It wasn't decorated yet, except for the lights and garland

and the bow on top.

But she was so fascinated by it. She kept touching the lights and blowing on them, like she thought they were candles.

Then I pulled out the ornaments we got at Hobby Lobby the other day, along with all our other ornaments, and the fun really began.
Check this out:


When we first started decorating she was saying "Tick-a-teek" when she looked at the tree, which is how she says "Trick or Treat!" So we corrected her that it is now time for Christmas and said "Christmas tree" to her a few times. Well, shortly thereafter, she started saying "Kiss tee" for "Christmas tree." But as you can hear in the video I thought she was saying she wanted to kiss something. Duh. But anyway, I'm was so happy that we caught her on video saying "I yuv a snowmin!" because that is one of my favorite things to hear her say, "I yuuv it!" that I don't care if I sound like a doofus in the video.


It was so much fun to let her help decorate the tree. Most of my ornaments have a story behind them. They are the ornaments that were on our tree when I was little, or they were made by someone I love, or given to me by someone I love. I told Miss the story of many ornaments as we put them on. "Your Great-Grandma B made this one," "Auntie and Unka gave that one to Mommy," "Grandma gave this to you for Christmas last year," etc. She seemed to have a blast helping with the ornaments and just kept wanting to get more and more. This morning she was just as excited by the tree.

She repeatedly touched all the ornaments and went from one side of the tree to the other saying, "Touch snowmin," "Touch Sinta," "Touch sharky" (sparkly - this is what she calls the old-school styrofoam-ball-with-sequins ornaments that my mom and aunts made in the 70s), "Touch Pulo" (Pluto), etc. And she commanded me to touch each ornament she named after she did.
I fear that I could get into a rut this month of posting nothing but "Oh-my-gosh-it-was-so-amazing/awesome/wonderful-to-see-Miss-do-this-holiday-related thing-for-the-first-time" gushing posts. I guess I'll call this fair warning, because it's likely to end up that way. I just get all teary every time I see Christmas through her eyes. And it's pretty cool. So I'm going to write about it, and probably gush some too. And then I'll probably do it again next year when Lass is old enough to start to understand all of this for the first time. Hell, I'm getting teared up just thinking about it. Motherhood never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment