Monday, June 11, 2012

Life Lived Well

How do you measure a life lived well?  A good life?  A successful life?  I suppose you could answer these questions in many different ways, depending on your priorities.  But today I'm thinking of two very special ladies in particular, who I think are very clear examples of life lived well.  These two are on my mind for very different reasons today.  Neither of these ladies have led lives characterized by tons of money or high-powered jobs.  Instead their lives have been exceptionally full of love and family.  Work and friends.  Laughter and joy.  I look at these women and it seems so clear to me that the measure of a good life is How much were you loved?  How much did you love in return?  If the answer to these two questions is Much, I think one's life has been lived well.

Today, my Grandma turned 90 years old.  She is so beautiful in so many ways.  The matriarch of our family.  She's kind and loving and amazing.  I called her today to tell her happy birthday and she told me that she was going to celebrate her day by having some friends over for a sing-along and cake.  She used to be a member of a performing group, and the friends coming to sing with her today are the remaining former members of this group.  How awesome is that?  I wish I could have been there.  Friends.  Fun.  Laughter.  She is 90 years old and still vibrant and full of love.  She has loved and been loved much.


Family.  Love.  Joy.  She rocks.  Happy Birthday Grandma.



Two days ago, another beautiful woman, my husband's dear Grandmother passed away at the age of 92.  So she is on my mind today as well.  She was a very special lady who left behind an incredible number of people who love and miss her dearly.  She had six sons, 26 grandchildren, and 29 great grandchildren!  She was a person you couldn't help but adore if you met her.  She was loving, gentle, and funny.  She most definitely lived life well, with grace and dignity and so. much. love.

I cannot think of two better examples of full and successful lives than these two amazing women.

No comments:

Post a Comment