Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Cookies

Recently, Miss has been showing a real interest in helping me in the kitchen.  Every night she comes in and asks to help me make dinner.  I love this.

Not only does she learn some good stuff, about cooking and measuring and following a recipe (or not), but also about the joy of cooking and spending time together in the kitchen.  That's my favorite part.

That, and the pride she shows in the finished product, hearing her family tell her how delicious her dinner is and being able to taste a yummy dish she helped create.  Her proud smile is priceless.


Tonight, before making dinner, we got decked out in our aprons and baked cookies.


The girls helped measure and stir the dry ingredients,




then the wet ingredients,
Miss painted my finger nails this afternoon 


Lass is smelling the combination of maple syrup and vanilla 


This was her first time cracking eggs.  She loved the feeling of the shell and just kept squeezing and crumbling it.  I had to pry it out of her fingers, very carefully to keep the whole shell from going into the bowl.  I couldn't stop laughing as she just kept squeezing and squeezing it. 


Miss is a pro at the eggs now and just needs a little bit of help. 


And finally, the chocolate chips get added.  Of course, they have to be sampled first.


Lass was not pleased at having to wait her turn to stir the cookie dough once the chips were added.


Not happy at all.  Don't worry, she didn't draw blood.

And she did eventually get her turn.



Her face when she realized we had to bake the cookies before she could eat them:


Dessert after a yummy dinner.



Spending time in the kitchen with my girls is so fulfilling.  Admittedly, I am kind of neurotic about my kitchen, but I really do try to push myself to not worry about stuff and just let them have fun.  I want them to have great memories of cooking.  I certainly have some wonderful memories from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment